Summer’s just about here and I know all you couples out there want to save money while you create and innovate romance at the same time. The largest component of romance is “caring.” If you can take these ideas or your own and add caring, you’ll be successful in creating a romantic experience. I write a lot at my personal blog about my quest for simplicity (with mixed success). When my wife and I aren’t teaching, we crave those easy and simple experiences together. Here’s 6 suggestions for those “simple pleasures” of romance to get you started planning. Perhaps when you’ve read them you’ll come up with some of your own and share them with the community in the comments below:
- A picnic. This is a classic. You don’t even have to pack sandwiches. Nowadays, to-go food is readily available.
- Tennis. If you know how to play, this can be a highly romantic afternoon. We live in the high desert of California so we have to go in the early evening. This is a great way to “get physical” before you “get physical” if you take my meaning. If you don’t know how to play, get a book or learn free online.
- Rent a boat. If you live near a lake or ocean there are likely inexpensive paddle or row boats for sale. Time on these can be very romantic.
- Bicycle for two. They actually rent these or you can both have your own bicycle.
- Coffee menu. Assuming the kids are away at a sitter or otherwise cared for, you can make an elaborate menu of coffee drinks for your spouse. My wife loves mochas. Don’t forget the whipped cream!
- The drive-in. On those hot summer nights, these can be quite romantic.
The best investment in a relationship is romance. Take your wife out this summer and do something she will never forget. If things aren’t going that well and it’s been a rocky time, romance helps with that too. I love hearing stories of people connecting and dating in creative, simple kinds of ways. If you have a story like that or just a great summer date idea, please share it in the comments. Here’s wishing all the “It Might Be Love” readers a lovely summer.