Ending Relationship Quotes

February 23, 2009

Some relationships just come to an end, which is when these ending relationship quotes can come in handy. You can use an ending relationship quote if you’re looking for an eloquent way to deliver a break up message, or sometimes a quote can say all the things you are thinking and feeling when you just can’t seem to find the right words.

It’s never an easy time for either party when a relationship ends. Sometimes the ending of a relationship is mutual – other times one of the people in the relationship feels complete disbelief and shock that the relationship has come to an end.  Every relationship is different, so we’ve tried to include a broad range of ending relationship quotes so hopefully no matter what your situation there is a quote that’s right for you.

Ending Relationship Quotes

“Never regret. If it’s good, it’s wonderful. If it’s bad, it’s experience.” – Victoria Holt

“Some of us think holding on makes us strong; but sometimes it is letting go.” – Hermen Hesse

“Those who do not know how to weep with their whole heart do not know how to laugh either.” – Golda Meir

“Hearts will never be practical until they are made unbreakable.” – Wizard of Oz

“Parting is all we know of heaven and all we need of hell.” – Emily Dickonson

“If you really love something set it free. If it comes back it’s yours, if not it wasn’t meant to be.” – Unknown Saying

“Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.” – M. Kathleen Casey

“I can’t go out with you any more because I’m gay. And your brother. And a ghost. Woo–ooo–hhh.” – Andy Ritcher

“There is a time for departure even when there’s no certain place to go.” – Tennessee Williams

“Love is never lost. If not reciprocated, it will flow back and soften and purify the heart.” – Washington Irving

“I can forgive, but I cannot forget, is only another way of saying, I will not forgive. Forgiveness ought to be like a cancelled note – torn in two, and burned up, so that it never can be shown against one.” – Henry Ward Beecher

“We have to believe that even the briefest of human connections can heal. Otherwise, life is unbearable.” – Agate Nesaule

“Have you ever been in love? Horrible isn’t it? It makes you so vulnerable. It opens your chest and it opens up your heart and it means that someone can get inside you and mess you up. You build up all these defenses, you build up a whole suit of armor, so that nothing can hurt you, then one stupid person, no different from any other stupid person, wanders into your stupid life…You give them a piece of you. They didn’t ask for it. They did something dumb one day, like kiss you or smile at you, and then your life isn’t your own anymore. Love takes hostages. It gets inside you. It eats you out and leaves you crying in the darkness, so simple a phrase like ‘maybe we should be just friends’ turns into a glass splinter working its way into your heart. It hurts. Not just in the imagination. Not just in the mind. It’s a soul-hurt, a real gets-inside-you-and-rips-you-apart pain. I hate love.” – Neil Gaiman

“A heart can be broken, but it will keep beating just the same.” – Fried Green Tomatoes

“It is a curious sensation: the sort of pain that goes mercifully beyond our powers of feeling. When your heart is broken, your boats are burned: nothing matters any more. It is the end of happiness and the beginning of peace.” – George Bernard Shaw

“Relationships end, but they don’t end your life. But people do often spending more time finding out about failed relationships than finding successful ones.” – Steve Martin

I hope you enjoyed these ending relationship quotes and that some of them may have helped you. Have a favorite quote on ending relationships? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Chelle is a freelance writer and married to the funniest guy in the world, mom of some cute crazy kids, and write mostly from my own experiences in love and relationships.

19 Responses to Ending Relationship Quotes

1. tam @ boutique singapore on February 25, 2009 at 6:26 am

LOL @ the Andy Ritcher quote!! and I like the Fried Green Tomatoes one. A poignant, wise and funny selections, as they say breaking up is never easy to do.

2. master@Herbal Vaporizers on March 2, 2009 at 8:55 am

I love this one – “Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.” – M. Kathleen Casey

3. mibor@reisen on March 3, 2009 at 4:59 am

herbal , “Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.”

this one is very nice wow i kinda like it

4. GregR on March 3, 2009 at 4:16 pm

After being around the block 100 times, I feel like I am going in circles.
    Seriously It never gets easier breaking up, its not you its me. :)

GregRs last blog post..Quoteable Quotes – Bret and Jemaine – Flight of the Conchords

5. Name* on March 5, 2009 at 6:51 am

what doesn’t kill you make you stronger.. some time we will have to let go what is not worth for us to keep..

Name*s last blog post..What is the Wii Zapper?

6. Bsd@pet snakes on March 5, 2009 at 6:54 am

Henry Ward Beecher is dead on when he says “I can forgive, but I cannot forget, is only another way of saying, I will not forgive”

Bsds last blog post..Talk your mom into a pet snake

7. Setai on March 5, 2009 at 8:31 am

Why have I missed this article. I could’ve used somethin like this a week ago. Yes I was breaking up with my partner and yes it was hard. I wish I’ve read it before. Very interesting compilation.

8. Hectic Capiznon Blogger on March 6, 2009 at 5:03 am

I really love the qoutes above. You inspired us alot. I still believe on the second chance.

Hectic Capiznon Bloggers last blog post..Fair or Unfair

9. Sean@writing desks blog on March 7, 2009 at 12:11 am

“Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.” I have to agree with the others that this is one of the great quotes I’ve ever read.

Seans last blog post..Cherry Writing Desk

10. Ana l Dating Better on March 9, 2009 at 12:52 am

Wonderful sets of quotes. It actually lightens up my sentimental mood and reminisces the time of goodbyes in my life. Lol.

11. Matt @ Gold Money on March 10, 2009 at 1:56 am

pain is inevitable, but suffering is optional

That is one thought-provoking statement. It opens the door for the right to die as a personal choice.

12. Richard@Best Man Speech on March 10, 2009 at 6:13 pm

The end of a relationship can be one the toughest times in one’s life. Quotes are a great thing to rely and uplift people. Thanks for the great list!

Richards last blog post..Worst Best Man: A Speech Gone Wrong

13. Lbug@LBUG.tv viral videos on March 10, 2009 at 6:28 pm

Ha ha, I thought these were quotes to use to end a relationship!

14. felix@Movie Trailers on March 14, 2009 at 3:50 am

Cool quotes, but as always it is heart breaking

felixs last blog post..Official New Moon Movie Trailer – Twilight 2 Sequel Teaser

15. Tom@Best Portable GPS on March 16, 2009 at 8:38 am

These quotes are valuable to rely on as love comes to an end. It’s a difficult time but everyone can get over it. Thanks for the list!

Toms last blog post..Garmin Nuvi Prices

16. Tina@Christian books online on March 16, 2009 at 12:11 pm

Great Quotes…Yeah getting your heart broke is no fun….but if we never put forth any effort How will we ever come in contact with the right one? It took me a few years but I landed a real good man!

17. Urlauber on March 19, 2009 at 6:49 am

I really love the qoutes above. You inspired me alot.

18. Rick @ Small Business PBX System on March 19, 2009 at 4:12 pm

There was a recent study reported on TV that concluded that women with the classic hourglass-shaped figures like Marilyn Monroe are probably not good at long-term, stable personal relationships. At the same time, a couple married 47 years were interviewed and ask to comment on the findings. Why not do a study on why relationships do last they remarked. I’m sure the quotes that talk about lasting relationships outdistances the ones that describe the ending of them.

19. Scritper on March 24, 2009 at 4:08 am

an nice quote is “the key to life is balance” but i dunno from who the quote is.