Romantic Thanksgiving Ideas

November 13, 2008

Who’s to say you can’t have a romantic Thanksgiving? Sure, the day might be all about dealing with the in-laws, crazy families, football and turkey…but it’s also about reflecting about all of the things you are THANKFUL for, and chances are your partner is pretty high up there on the list.

Here are a Few Romantic Thanksgiving Ideas:

Wake Them Up to a Surprise: Like our cute little Turkey friend in the picture? What if you woke them up with a stuffed turkey saying “Gobble, Gobble…I Love you!”? (Um, don’t do this if they’re not a morning person!) But it is a cute romantic way to start off the day together. See a wide selection of stuffed turkeys here.

Make a List of What You’re Thankful For: It’s easy to make a list of all the things you’re thankful for about your partner. “I’m thankful that you listen to me” or “I’m thankful you are here to snuggle with” are all good starts. You can give them the list before you eat dinner or save it for afterwards.

Watch the Parade: The Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade is a tradition in so many households. You can either go to this Parade or find another one near you, or just snuggle up with your partner and watch the parade on TV together.

Cook Together: Cooking together can be romantic. Help each other peel the potatoes and cut up the stuffing and all that other stuff. Don’t forget to help each other clean up the mess either!

Share a Slice of Pumpkin Pie: After Thanksgiving dinner, eating a piece of pumpkin pie can be a challenge. Why not share a piece together topped with whipped cream? Take turns feeding each other, etc. etc.

Plan an Escape: If you won’t be near friends or family for Thanksgiving, why not plan a romantic weekend escape? Find a cozy cabin or cottage, book a hotel room with a view, or even go on a cruise.

Draw Them a Picture: My regular readers know I LOVE anything that has to do with coloring – so why not color a special Thanksgiving card or picture? It can be as simple or as cute as you want and say something along the lines of “Most of all I’m thankful for you!”

Send an Ecard or Text Message: Thanksgiving is a great excuse to send out an ecard or a special text message, even if you live together! So go ahead and send your partner a surprise ecard or text message to tell them Happy Thanksgiving!

Play a Friendly Game of Tackle Football: Being lucky enough to have a huge family, we’ve usually had enough people to set up our own Thanksgiving football teams. Grab a football and go ahead and show each other your loving aggressive competitive playful side!

Play Cards, Do a Puzzle, Play Board Games: Playing games together or doing puzzle after dinner can be a great way to spend some fun time together as a couple on Thanksgiving.

Have any other romantic Thanksgiving ideas? Share them in the comments below!

Tags:

Chelle is a freelance writer and married to the funniest guy in the world, mom of some cute crazy kids, and write mostly from my own experiences in love and relationships.

12 Responses to Romantic Thanksgiving Ideas

1. Olaf@Spiele und Filme Neuerscheinungen on November 13, 2008 at 8:01 am

Beanie Baby! I haven’t seen one of those in a long time, especially not on the Blogosphere!
    As for romantic ideas . . . if you don’t have the hullaballoo of family around, and it’s just the two . . . try cooking together if that is not what you are accustomed to. Or even better, decorate dessert together, like a pilgrim/indian pumpkin cake.

2. daniel@dirty blue widgets on November 13, 2008 at 12:51 pm

Thanks for the ideas. I think cooking together is one of the most romantic activities there is.

3. Josh on November 14, 2008 at 8:39 am

Good list, is it weird that one of my girlfriend’s favorite things is the smell of turkey in the oven, but she is a vegetarian. Go figure. I am sure I can put to use some of these romantic thanksgiving ideas.

4. Mark @ romantic anniversary gift on November 15, 2008 at 10:11 pm

The long weekends of Thanksgiving have always been romantic times for my wife and I. The first weekend we spent together was a Thanksgiving weekend and every year since we break away from busy schedules, slow down and just enjoy each others company.

5. kouji@a haiku poem on November 16, 2008 at 2:25 am

that stuffed toy turkey’s just so cute. :O

koujis last blog post..thanksgiving haiku poem

6. Tim@Residential Wind Power on November 16, 2008 at 9:29 pm

A romantic getaway sounds great, except it interferes with the family gathering part of the weekend. We will have to try cooking together this time.

Tims last blog post..DIY Homebuilt Wind Generator Power | Excessive Wind Speeds

7. aaron@vet pet insurance on November 17, 2008 at 11:50 pm

cool list. I really like the share a slice of pumpkin pie suggestion. Of course my wife hates pumpkin pie, so we can just hang out with each other and I’ll take all the pie for myself. =)

aarons last blog post..Is Pet Insurance Worth It?

8. Taylor@Flex Training on November 20, 2008 at 1:02 pm

I love romantic getaways but thanksgiving I always associate with family. Perhaps a weekend at a bed and breakfast after turkey day would be a better idea.

9. Dan@Caribbean Holidays on November 21, 2008 at 6:07 am

Great tips, I shall have to take them into consideration, shame all the relatives are round so things are restricted :P

10. Hardy on November 21, 2008 at 6:22 am

Cooking together is a great suggestion. Sometimes it’s really fun, but sometimes tempers can get a little frayed when the pressure’s on like it is at Thanksgiving.

Hardys last blog post..Rock Band Foot Pedal Replacement

11. Jeff@Garden Decor Items on November 24, 2008 at 12:41 pm

Wow! that is really good tips. We will surely do that.

12. Tony@Air Conditioning Contractor on November 24, 2008 at 3:38 pm

Do they still even make beanie babies? Man I remember when those things used to be so popular.