Pros, Cons & Online Dating

September 10, 2008

The Pros and Cons of Online Dating are something worth taking a look at if you’re single and unsure if online dating is really for you. Evaluating the pros cons of online dating can help you decide if you should try online dating, or remain off-line to meet the right person for you. Here are the pros and cons of online dating:

The Pros of Online Dating:

Less Confrontational: If you’re afraid of confrontation, this pro of online dating is one that will mean the most to you. You don’t have to worry about walking up to a complete stranger in public or making awkward phone calls until you feel like you’re at the point where a phone call won’t be awkward to make. If someone doesn’t like you from that first email, no big deal.

Online Profiles Make it Easy: If you go somewhere to meet dates, nobody has a sign on their back with their interests and hobbies, moral and ethic viewpoints, or other things to help you decide if you might be compatible. This is a great pro of online dating – you can tell what you may like or not like about a person before you even say Hello.

Online Dating is Inexpensive: If you calculate what it would cost to go on “bad dates” with someone you have very little in common with versus a free dating site such as Mingles or Yahoo! Personals 7 Day FREE Trial offer you’ll find it’s possible to actually save money, since many dates can be narrowed down through email or free chat. Yahoo! Personals 7 Day FREE Trial offer is so confident you’ll meet the right person, that if after 6 months you don’t, they will give you a FREE 6 months afterwards! The paid membership sites, such as eHarmony can still save you money in the long run, since you are meeting compatible targeted dates instead of dating “time and money wasters .

Online Dating Can Save You Time: You can look through hundreds of profiles in just a few minutes. You can save potential matches and organize the whole search process. This can save you a lot of time, especially if you’ve been “just waiting” for the right person to come along or spending Friday night after Friday night looking to meet someone.

The Cons of Online Dating:

Security/Scam Concerns: Most online dating sites take major preventive measures to make sure your online dating experience is a fun and safe one. Our dating safety ebook has tons of tips to help you stay safe while dating – online or off. Choosing reputable paid sites will likely keep you even safer, since a scammer or con artist is probably NOT going to pay for a subscription to a site like eHarmony Dating For A Serious Relationship. Also remember dating safety should be a concern even if you are not dating online – people are just as able to be deceptive about who they really are or have ulterior motives in the “real world” as they are online.

Photos Aren’t Always Realistic: A lot of people put up their best photos online or may have used photo editing software. Some photos may be a few years old. When it comes to meeting someone face to face, be prepared that they won’t always look exactly like they do in the picture. Trust your instincts if the photo “looks to good to be true”.

You Want a Magical “How We Met Story”: Dating online does not always give you a magical “how we met” kind of story. But if you find the right person online, there’s always the first date for the magic and plenty of ways to be creative the first time you meet in person. It can be somewhat magical in other regards – one of my relatives is using Swedish fish for their wedding favors this fall after meeting at a site with a fish theme.

If you’re still not sure about the pros cons of online dating, take a look at our reviews of our online dating sites to help you see if there is a program that might be the most comfortable for you to use. Good luck in whatever you decide to meet your match – online or off.

Tags: , ,

Chelle is a freelance writer and married to the funniest guy in the world, mom of some cute crazy kids, and write mostly from my own experiences in love and relationships.

16 Responses to Pros, Cons & Online Dating

1. kouji@haiku poems examples on September 10, 2008 at 11:15 am

i’d still much rather date offline if possible. i feel that i might be able to get along really well with someone online, but then have real difficulty around that person, when we’re facing each other in person.

2. hooligan on September 10, 2008 at 9:53 pm

Yeah I know that the online dating thing is becoming a huge factor in how people meet each other these day but I have to agree. You loose the magical story of meeting each other. I would rather have that.

3. Tim@Personalized Beer Coasters on September 10, 2008 at 10:02 pm

Some people really do have a lot of trouble with asking a potential date out in person. I always thought that it might be easier for them online.

Tims last blog post..One Fierce Personalized Beer Label or Coaster

4. Shiela on September 11, 2008 at 12:15 am

I think online dating is okay as long couples have enough time to meet and know each other directly before they marry.

5. chip@adult dating on September 12, 2008 at 7:24 pm

I think online adult dating is great. I wonder if age is a factor in the perception of online dating (just a thought).

I think the advantages of online dating far exceed traditional meeting places, some of which you outlined in your writing. There is a lot less pressure and even though you are only typing to one another when you start correspondence, you still know fairly quickly whether or not you are compatible or if there is a “spark”.

I have had a lot of luck online and it is my preferred method for meeting other singles. I have a lot more options and, even though it may seem impersonal, I do have the opportunity to learn about a persons interests before I decide to correspond with them.

I think that as more time goes by, online dating will become more accepted (I know it’s pretty widely accepted today, but there is still room for this to grow), those magical stories will be just as magical as traditional magical meeting stories. Instead of, “we met at such and such grocery store”, it will be “we met at such and such dating site”.

I enjoy it and thank you for your input as to the pros and cons.

6. Forum on September 13, 2008 at 6:51 pm

Thanks

7. Chelle on September 13, 2008 at 9:47 pm

Thanks everyone for the comments :) It’s always great to read them!

8. WPJ@Free Auto Insurance Quotes on September 15, 2008 at 6:38 am

Online dating has long held a special place for many. I guess it is mainly the privacy that lures people to these sites. In the end, dating is fun for singles, whether online or not but, rules have to be observed.

9. Nick@bus accident claims on September 15, 2008 at 4:51 pm

Its good for people who lack confidence or have hectic lifestyles, but still think there are generally better ways to meet people.

Nicks last blog post..Making a Personal Injury Claim

10. Bagsmerchant on September 21, 2008 at 11:41 pm

Your opinions make sense in some way.But you know you can’t really get to know someone online.

11. Ben on September 25, 2008 at 4:17 pm

I think there is a place now in this world for online dating. Having done it myself, i think there is still a stigma attached to it although it is becoming less and less as you start to hear more stories of people who found love through it.

My problem with is was that you kind of start to treat it like a checklist and you vet the people based on their profile, as if they have to meet 10 of your ticks before you will consider them. In real life its not like that, and things are never as black and white. Thats why meeting people naturally is still the better option for me.

12. Mc@Chanel Sunglasses 2008 on October 7, 2008 at 10:41 pm

I guess is just for fun to do it online, but when you think is the time to be serious, you may look for a more real personal relationship. (my opinion of course)

13. Melissa on November 30, 2008 at 3:37 pm

My boyfriend and I met online two years ago, and we are now engaged to be married. We celebrate three dates each year. Nov 4, when we first chatted online, Thanksgiving Day, when we met in person for the first time, and the first weekend in January, when we moved in with me. He lived 2 hours away and we both took a chance but it has worked out beautifully and we are very much in love with each other.

14. Paul@Bodybuilding on December 7, 2008 at 5:51 pm

You did a good job of laying out all the pros and cons of online dating. I think its helped me decide on if I want to pursue it.

15. johan@zara clothes on December 26, 2008 at 9:06 pm

Are there any FREE online dating services though?

johans last blog post..How Does Zara Clothing Compare To Designer Clothing?

16. Mo@free-g1 on December 29, 2008 at 8:33 pm

I met one girl off the internet that I dated…she is now the mother of my son and an evil force in my life. But I do love my son, he is the best!

Mos last blog post..How To Find A Free G1