Moving can be a lot of work for couples – whether you’re moving into your first place together, are moving to be closer to each other, or have had other reasons to move such as job transfers or needing a different place to live.
If you’re facing a move together, here are some moving tips for couples:
1. Choose a Good Moving Company: I can’t stress enough how nice it is to use a Moving company for your moving needs. I used one for the first time when we moved into our current house and it was the easiest thing I’ve ever done! They showed up, loaded everything in the truck and delivered it safe and sound in just a few hours. There are sites such as this Moving Companies Site that lists many movers to choose from, even International movers if you are moving from one country to another. Asking for references and testimonials, as well as doing some basic research online will help you be confident in hiring a reputable mover.
2. Don’t Let Stress Get You Down: Moving is stressful, even with the help of professional movers, so be sure you try to stay calm and courteous towards one another while packing and unloading. Don’t argue over “who put what where” and you’ll find it much easier to move together.
3. Respect Each Other’s Privacy: When moving, it’s easy to be curious about what your partner has lurking in old boxes. Unless you have a reasonable cause to know what’s in that box, try to respect each other’s privacy as much as possible. While some are more private than others, it’s always a good idea to ask before digging through a box that might have things you shouldn’t really have your nose in.
4. Create a Plan: Being organized and having a plan can be especially helpful when moving together as a couple. Make it clear who is responsible for what and when – and be sure you label boxes so you’ll be able to find things once the moving company has unloaded the boxes into your new place.
5. Establish Yours, Mine, and Ours: When moving in together for the first time, it’s important to establish boundaries on what things are for each person and what things can be shared. You might think it’s okay to use your partner’s favorite towel, but it could upset them, so always ask, and if possible try to talk about it before you move in together what items will be shared and what items are “hands-off” to the others.
These are just a few moving tips for couples I’ve learned through my experiences – have any others you’d like to share? Leave them in the comments below.