Cry Your Eyes Out: 100 Sad Love Songs

July 19, 2008

Every so often the mood will strike me to listen to some sad love songs. There’s a number of reasons why somebody might want to listen to sad love songs – from break-ups to unrequited love to missing someone, there are times in life when a sad love song instead of a happy one is needed.

This collection of sad love songs has a little bit of everything across different types of music and definitions of love. Some of these songs are angst driven, while others are despair. Some might even be considered to be anti-love songs or break up songs.

Whatever you call them, I hope you enjoy this little collection of sad love songs.

You might want to have a box of tissues on hand – some of these songs are the kind of sad love songs that make you cry. (No, we won’t call you a wimp or make fun of you!) Have a favorite sad love song? Share it with us in the comments below.

Update: A lot of people have requested I post a list of the actual songs on the playlist and after noticing that sometimes they will disappear from playlist.com’s site I decided I would list them here just in case some of them go missing. And if you need 200 more sad love songs, then don’t forget to check out list of songs about breaking up.

100 Sad Songs to Make You Cry in complete random order:

95. Understanding / Evanescence
96. Falling Out Of Love / Aqualung
97. I Know / Jude
98. Trouble / Coldplay
99. My Immortal / Evanescence
100. Breathe / Anna Nalick

And for good measure I have one more to add to the list:

101. Fallen for You / Sheila Nicholls

Hope you enjoy these everybody – and hopefully they will help with whatever reason it is that you needed a sad love song to listen to.

Tags: , , ,

Chelle is a freelance writer and married to the funniest guy in the world, mom of some cute crazy kids, and write mostly from my own experiences in love and relationships.

35 Responses to Cry Your Eyes Out: 100 Sad Love Songs

1. Angela on July 19, 2008 at 6:52 pm

Thank you for this post. It’s so 100% true.

Sometimes I just need to listen to a sad song or two, it helps me to remember to feel.

I love Mazzy Star. <3

Angelas last blog post..Cisco Training

2. BK on July 20, 2008 at 3:50 am

It has been a while since I last listen to love songs. However, one of the love songs which I like best is the one by Colin Raye, ‘Love Me.’ That song is very sweet.

BKs last blog post..Our Deepest Fear by Marianne Williamson

3. Veronica on July 31, 2008 at 7:45 pm

Love you page, Chelle!

4. mspennylane on August 2, 2008 at 9:46 am

What a good list of songs, and really cool that you can add the playlist to your blog so we can listen to them! I love listening to love songs sometimes. It just feels good to be emotional.

mspennylanes last blog post..Did I mention I love music?

5. CloseCall on September 23, 2008 at 8:28 pm

Hey just surfing by b/c I love a girl who don’t love me the same way… Story of life. Anyhow you need some big head todd and snd the monsters…. broken hearted savior.. bittersweet..please dont tell her. lots of great stuff …. you have many good songs on your list too

goodluck

6. Handbag for life on September 24, 2008 at 6:50 am

Thank you for sharing these sad songs.But they are not my type.

Handbag for lifes last blog post..The main fashion stream of 2008 Fall-Letter bags

7. may on October 25, 2008 at 12:05 am

wild horses – rolling stones

8. Kylie on October 25, 2008 at 7:42 am

omg i just found a song i absolutely love i have been looking for it for ages it was the song breath by anna nalick thank you so much for putting this song on here :D
    <3 take care

9. Kylie on October 25, 2008 at 7:47 am

and also stand in the rain by superchick is a good song i dont think i saw it on there lol

10. Sockmonkey75 on October 27, 2008 at 2:32 am

Tim Buckley- Song For Siren

11. Boog46 on November 11, 2008 at 10:42 am

Brilliant list of songs. I also think that Shania Twain’s, “It only hurts when I breathe is quite good.”

12. darcy britten on November 11, 2008 at 8:07 pm

There are some awesome songs in this selection. Send in the Clowns,White Flag, and Lost Cause are my absolute favorites! I’ve heard about Beck before but I’ve never listened to his music. Lost Cause proves he’s worth checking out…!

13. KeeandraRodriguez on November 18, 2008 at 11:49 pm

Stand Still Look Pretty by The Wreckers
    -Song about a girl having everything around her fall apart and wanting someone to know just how it feels when you dont want to be yourself anymore.
    Really good song, I think every girl feels this way once in their lives. Deffinatly worth listening too.

14. holly on November 29, 2008 at 10:46 am

sister hazel – your winter makes me sad everytime i hear it. you’ve got a great list of songs here :)

15. Anna on December 1, 2008 at 4:22 pm

good choices!

You should listen to – It still hurts – Born ft Beth Hart

16. angel_hunny on December 1, 2008 at 9:23 pm

autumn’s monologue by from autumn to ashes is a great one.

also you’re not sorry, breathe, cold as you, and teardrops on my guitar by taylor swift.

you’ve shown me a lot of great songs though, thanks!

17. SailorJerry17 on December 2, 2008 at 1:57 am

Great list, one of my personal favorites is “to be with you” -Mr. Big

18. Er on December 21, 2008 at 2:30 am

Ray LaMontagne- Shelter

19. becca on December 27, 2008 at 5:59 pm

are there anymore lists out there like this one? i was looking and couldnt seem to find any. i totally like it but would like some variety.

20. Crushed on December 28, 2008 at 3:44 am

this list is getting me through darker days
    rip eli nini

21. felicia on January 3, 2009 at 6:37 pm

i remember you is by skid row , not bon jovi , and these songs are real sad . its pretty sad how boys treat girls anymore .

22. jcc on January 5, 2009 at 12:00 am

coheed and cambria’s song “wake up”
    is also a good one

23. jayme on January 18, 2009 at 5:01 pm

Unbeautiful by Lesley Roy

24. Loki on January 20, 2009 at 8:33 pm

Beth by KISS gets me. Maybe because I am always away from home and my beautiful wife.

25. Jonathan on January 23, 2009 at 5:07 am

I need you tonight by Backstreet Boys

26. Nicco on January 24, 2009 at 6:33 pm

Good list, i would add teardrops Will Fall by Ry Cooder

27. Angel on February 16, 2009 at 2:15 am

thanx man this list is bomb and i really needed to listen to songs like this

and CloseCall i know how u feel i like this girl but she doesn’t feel the same way

it fucking sucks

28. Quinton on February 16, 2009 at 2:13 pm

Hey thanks for the playlist, it doesnt help my breakup, but I guess it helps to cry, another good song you could add is “It’s Been Awhile by Staind”

Thanks
    Peace
    Q-Man

29. shea on February 17, 2009 at 6:49 am

“comfortable” by john mayer

30. laura on February 28, 2009 at 6:46 pm

i love this playlist…sometimes a good cry puts you out of heartache more than any smile. i have one song suggestion: Near to You by A Fine Frenzy. it’s a beautiful song and i think it belongs here…

31. Dustin Beatty on March 5, 2009 at 3:24 am

I dated the love of my life for 2 years. her dad is a major in the air force so she had to move to california. we did the long distance thing but she didnt this guy about me and he went to kiss her. she didnt do it but realized she liked him and broke up with me saying “she was doing this for me” tht was almost 4 months ago and i cry almost everyday day atleast a little bit. i love her to death everyone. we were engaged to idk if we are anymore she wont talk to me. im going to try and get her back tho im moving there soon. these songs help so much its not even funny. for a guy that was raised not to cry. these songs make it easy for the tears to flow..well i ranted long enough thanks for listening. well reading :)

32. Veronica on March 8, 2009 at 12:08 am

I come to this site often when I’m blue. My favorite love song is Beautiful by Lifehouse <3

33. Robyn on March 8, 2009 at 5:21 am

a great collection. i recommend: Bubble Wrap- McFly

34. G-Boy on March 12, 2009 at 11:56 am

Darren Hayes – Sing To Me
    If you want a song to open your emotions of lost of love / break up, then this is a great one… it definitely will pull at your heart strings.
    Enjoy… with some tissues! :-O

35. Ujala on March 15, 2009 at 10:04 pm

Too much Coldplay for my taste.