Summertime is a great time for a party and a great time to spend it with your friends and family. Gather your friends up and try some of these funky party ideas we’ve gathered for you:
1. I Love the 80’s Party: Who doesn’t love the 80’s? Require that all people show up in their favorite 80’s clothes, decorate with neon colors and New Kids on the Block posters. Music is essential to an 80’s theme party – how else would you all be able to do the moonwalk?
2. Toga Party: Toga theme parties can always be a little interesting. Instead of wearing clothes, opt for tying your sheets around your shoulders and waist. Light some candles, make pillars out of paper, and serve your favorite Greek foods. Or you could just do what they did in the movie Animal House.
3. Game Night: Some of my friends and I have had a lot of fun having game nights. Serve up some tasty, easy to eat foods and play games like Cranium, Outburst, Apples to Apples or any other favorite group game you might have.
4. Luau: In the summer, nothing says theme party like a luau! Get out the tiki lamps, have guests wear leis, and serve up some of your favorite tropical drinks. You can even get some inflatable palm trees or decorate with paper lanterns for the full effect.
5. Casino Night: If you’re a fan of casinos and gambling, you might enjoy holding your own casino night party. Set up various tables for poker games, serve some lush buffet style foods, and go wild decorating in red and black and white.
6. Girls Night Out Party: Enjoy a party like you did sleepovers as a teenager. Give each other make-overs, play truth or dare, watch chick flicks, or swap clothes with each other. Don’t forget the chocolate.
7. Scrapbook Party: Scrapbooking together can be a great way to have some fun. Provide materials, a large table, and snacks and drinks. Then start scrapbooking away! You can also have your favorite music playing in the background.
8. Wine tasting party: If the previous party ideas are not sophisticated enough for you, why not have a wine tasting party? Have everyone bring their favorite wine, provide wine glasses, and learn the proper way to taste wine. Complete the party with dinner and some light music in the background.
9. BBQ Picnic: What is summer without a picnic? Fire up the grill for some hamburgers, ribs, and other favorites. Have things like volleyball, horseshoes, badminton, and relay races to entertain your guests.
10. Full Blown Tacky Party: Just in case the above ideas aren’t tacky enough for you, why not go for a full blown tacky party? Request guests come dressed in their tackiest attire and make sure your invitations are tacky, too. Decorate with anything you have – it’s okay to mix and match different holidays! Pink flamingoes and fuzzy dice also make for a nice touch. Serve food with mismatched dishes. Give out prizes or goodie bags with useless things you can find around your house. You can also play party games like pin the tail on the donkey or musical chairs.
There you have it – 10 funky theme party ideas. If you host any of these parties this summer, I WANT TO SEE PICTURES! Email them to me at chelle165 [at] gmail [dot] net. I will post up my favorites at the end of the summer with links to you for credit. (Unless of course you would prefer to remain anonymous!)