Recently Marc from The Incurable Romantic published a very sweet love letter from his wife in response to the one he wrote to her. As I reflected on the post I realized how the art of love letters is quickly fading from our lives. With email being so easy, or there only being time to write short little love notes, most of us forget that letters even still exist! If you’ve been searching for a new way to be romantic, a love letter just might be what you needed.
Here are some ideas that crossed my mind for writing love letters:
- 1. Include favorite quotes from books, movies, or music.
- 2. Make a list of things you love about him/her.
- 3. If the two of you like to joke around, add in some personal jokes or humor to the letter.
- 4. Don’t worry about being “mushy” or over the top romantic – just write honestly. You don’t have to be flowery unless you want to be.
- 5. Write the love letter by hand with pen on paper. (We get so used to typing and printing things out – but it’s twice as sweet when it’s handwritten!)
- 6. If you really want to get creative, you could write the love letter on something other than standard paper, such as a plate, t-shirt, giant piece of posterboard, or anything else unusual you think your partner might enjoy.
- 6. Tell a story in the letter about things you did together or happy memories you shared.
- 7. Write about the time you *knew* it was love, thoughts when you first met them, or how you knew you wanted to be with them for the long-haul.
- 8. Fill the letter with compliments on things they have done, how they look, or how they make you feel.
- 9. Don’t forget to say thank you – it is always good to make sure our partners know how much they are appreciated!
- 10. Attach something sweet to the letter – a hershey kiss, a small flower from the garden, a photo, whatever seems to be appropriate!
Have you written a love letter lately? What did you write about in yours? Any good love letter ideas you’d like to share?